Thursday, September 20, 2007

watashi no fu-ra-su-to-re-sshon

Hey y'all,

I'm in lab right now, waiting for some RNA samples to incubate. Exciting eh? And for downtime I'm doing more hw! Luckily, this is an assignment that allows me to vent my frustration. I'm exhausted from all of my classes this week. I'm just about to keel over from E-KU-SO-TO-A-SSHON (exhaustion). haha, that was my transcription from english to katakana. I think I probably did that wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions how to stay awake during the day? I think I'm going to start trying coffee.

Let's see .... This week has been very busy eh? 4 quizzes in the past 4 days and tomorrow us troopers will have had 5 quizzes in 5 days. whoa! And I find katakana especially difficult because a lot of the characters look alike. Look at the katakana ku, fu, ta, wa, wo. They are pretty much the same character! But I think what keeps me going is how much I want to learn Japanese. And I'm really glad that I'm taking this class because it's confirmed something that I've only recently realized. It might be obvious to the rest of you, but learning about something you're really excited about really change the rate that you learn things. I'll admit that I'm learning some things that I don't really have a passion for. So I forget why I'm learning about a topic and what is the importance/application of it to the real world (I'm doing engineering). Then everything sort of becomes a blur to me and this is not good. But with Japanese there is a reason for me to learn it. Because I like it so much, I think about it when I am not in the class. I don't force myself to do it, I just do it. Well, not all of the time. And I think that helps me. I find that when I look at something once I can almost assure you that I won't memorize it all such as a bunch of katakana characters. I have to see it again before I can actually memorize it. See, this is why I can never do anything last minute. When I do, I don't have enough time to memorize it. Anyway, let me know what you're best study tips are or what your passion is. I'd love to know.

peacing out,
Vero

7 comments:

クイエン said...

You're right. When a subject is interesting to me, I'm eager to learn it too.
Japanese homework is a lot. Usually I save the subject with more hw last, but for some reason I always start on my Jap hw first ¦D
Your week sounds tough. Good luck with all of your classes.

Vero said...

Hey Tran-san,
My sister told me that you went to Marshall high school! That's cool. I wonder if we ever ran into each other.

Vero said...

Hey Tran-san,
My sister told me that you went to Marshall high school! That's cool. I wonder if we ever ran into each other.

クイエン said...

Oh, so you went to Marshall too? I didn’t know that.I saw Tatiana at Marshall but I’ve never seen you there.Or maybe I did but I don’t remember ^^;

Ellen said...

hello, I just wanted to say that back in my elementary school years--Anpanman was the best!! I remember that my first grade teacher had stickers of him--and my classmates would always fight over who got one.
Also, your point about Japanese is very true. Japanese is very different from other classes-which may be why its a lot more interesting to work on.

Patrick said...

I'm in my 3rd year of aerospace engineering and I feel exactly the same way. I can't say that I honestly enjoy any of the classes that I'm taking for it and everybody else in the classes feels the same way. Learning about the functions that describe the rate of flux of heat through a cross section in a metal pipe doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do with putting stuff into the sky and what lies beyond, but apparently we have to know it. Japanese may be work intensive, but it's actually a nice break from the rest of my curriculum this semester.

Vero said...

Hey Patrick,

it's cool that we can relate in that respect. Hey, I was in your class, before I transferred to an earlier class. I met another engineer in my class. Megan Allard? She's an electrical engineer. Anyway, good luck with your school work.