Thursday, September 13, 2007

Konnichiwa

Hello friends,

When I first walked into the Japanese 101 class, I sort of felt like a grannie. I thought, I'm a third year starting a 101 class! But I quickly got over it, because I know that everyone is always going to be inexperienced at something and I'm a huge advocate of trying new things. Maybe next time when I try something new it'll be like playing bridge with real grannies. That way I won't feel so old. ;P ... But golly gee, this is a tough class. I had no idea about the pace that we're learning things. I know that if I didn't have any exposure to the language, I'd probably be crying in the back of the room or spinning in circles because I'd be so confused. Actually, I wouldn't cry because I'm a big girl now, but I'd be very overwhelmed. So I'm really impressed and proud of the students that are sticking with this class. I can tell some of them have had experience with Japanese and I think that's why the class can go the pace that it is going. But for students that haven't had the exposure, I give u props. And don't ever hesitate to ask questions in class or be afraid of making mistakes. I think it's very noble to be fearless in that respect. I guess I'm lucky because I'm half Japanese and so I've been exposed to the language. However, my mom and I never spoke Japanese to each other. I mean, sometimes we would try and then she would say something like "hetakuso", which I think means something like "pathetic". Don't worry, she said it in a joking tone (I think =P). But I think that exposure has helped me in class. And because my mom is Japanese sometimes we would watch Japanese cartoons. Like this one called AnPanMan, who is a superhero who's head is made of bread with a red bean paste center. And when he finds someone who is in need of his help and probably suffering from a growling stomach, he breaks a piece of his head off and gives it to that person. But this decreases his superstrength. I'd get more into it, but perhaps my entry should be more relevant to the Japanese class or me.

Just to break it down for you all... a little bit more about me (cause it's very hard to get to know people during class): I'm a biomedical engineering major, with a keen interest in international development. I like dancing crazily, and singing so loud that my throat is sore the next day. I just joined the Wushu club, which I love love love. I have a smart sister in my class. Don't believe her if she denies we're related.

Well, I hope that this blog helps me to flesh out my hopes and dreams. Until next time. Ja mata.

Vero

1 comment:

Sato said...

I totally agree with you; all of you must not hesitate to ask questions or be afraid of making mistakes. Mistakes are a great teacher for you to move forward; you learn a lot from there!

I am very very proud of all of you stay in class and try really hard!